Lindy Hop classes in Amersfoort
Of course you are very welcome to join our Lindy Hop classes and events, also if you do not speak Dutch! On this page we’ll give you all the info you need – though we may occasionally refer you to a Dutch page if needed. Do you want to start dancing Lindy hop? Our new classes generally start in September, January and April.
You can register using our registration page. Registration is currently closed and will open again around September.
If you want to know if Lindy Hop is something for you, join one of our taster classes. They are held right before the start of the new classes.
Check the agenda for more information or send us an e-mail.
Courses: September – December 2019
- Level: These classes are for everyone without any previous Lindy Hop experience. We’ll start at the beginning, and in 13 weeks you’ll learn cool moves and the basics of leading or following in groovewalk, triplesteps and charleston.
- With or withour partner: All students rotate partners during classes, even if you’ve signed up with a partner. This way you will learn the fastest and all the participants get the same amount of practice, even if some leaders/followers are not present.
- Locatie: FLUOR, Amersfoort
- Try-out class September 10th! (Facebook) Do you first want to find out whether Lindy Hop is something for you? This class you can just hop in and try out a class for free. Do you want to make sure you have a spot? Register beforehand to make sure classes are not full already.
- Dates – 13 weeks from 7.15 till 8.30pm on Tuesday:
17 en 24 September
1, 8, 15, 22 en 29 October
5, 12, 19 en 26 November
3 en 10 December
This block we do not offer lessons for level 1B, if you want to know more, don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Level. For everyone with at least 6 months of previous Lindy Hop experience. If you followed Lindy 1A and 1B then you’re definately eligible, but if you danced a lot of Lindy Hop elsewhere then you can also join. Please contact us to see whether this level suits you.
- Discount. If you also follow the Lindy 1A or 1B class next to your Lindy 1C class (either repeating the same role, or learning a new role), then you’ll get a 50% discount on your second course!
- Dates – 13 weeks from 7.30 – 8.45pm on Thursday:
19 and 26 September
3, 10, 17, 24 and 31 October
7, 14, 21 and 28 November
5 and 12 December
- Level: For everyone with at least 9 months of previous Lindy Hop experience. If you followed Lindy 1A, 1B and 1C then you’re definately eligible, but if you danced a lot of Lindy Hop elsewhere then you can also join. Please contact us to see whether this level suits you.
- Discount: If you also follow the Lindy 1A, 1B or 1C class next to this class (either repeating the same role, or learning a new role), then you’ll get a 50% discount on your second course!
- Dates – 10 weeks on Tuesday from 8.45 – 10.00pm:
17 and 24 September
1, 15, 22 and 29 October
5, 19 and 26 November
- All lessons are 75 minutes
- Lindy 1A contains 13 lessons and cost €132 per block
- Lindy 1C contains 13 lessons and cost €132 per block
- Lindy 2 contains 10 lessons and cost €102 per block
- If you are a student, without a job, or otherwise in an financially uncomfortable position, then you can get an additional €10 discount. Just check the discount box when registering.
- If you take two courses during the same block, then you get 25% discount on the total price. Follow three courses? Then you even get 33% discount.
Questions? On this page you’ll find a lot of information, but unfortunately maybe not everything your (wannabe) dancing heart desires. Our big sister Swing in Utrecht has a website in English, where you can find a lot of info about what Lindy Hop is and how the weekly classes work. If you still have a question, you can contact us via the contact page.
What do I learn in class?
In our beginners block (Lindy 1A) you’ll learn the basics of leading or following, as well as different moves in groovewalk, triplesteps or charleston. In the follow-up courses, Lindy 1B and 1C, you’ll not expand your Lindy Hop vocabulary, but also about how to have a good connection with your partner, how to improvise to the music, and how to show off with dips or cool solo jazz moves.
Should I sign up with a partner?
As Lindy Hop is a partner dance, we want our classes to be equally devided between leaders and followers. During classes we rotate partners, meaning that you do not have to sign up with a partner, tough it does make things easier sometimes. If you register without a partner you may end up on a wanting list until we achieved an equal amount of leads and follows again.
Who leads and who follows?
In the old days men would lead and women would follow. But fortunately nowadays everyone can learn the dance role that he or she feels that fits best. Though initiating moves is characteristic for leading in Lindy Hop, both leaders and followers can initiate cool moves and start awesome improvisations. Maybe you want to learn both?
Want to try it out first?
The first class of every beginner block (Lindy 1A) can be taken as a free taster to see whether our weekly classes may be what you’re looking for. However, we do not offer this possibility if we are already fill, meaning that it’s better to try out Lindy Hop somewhere else first (and register in time for our weekly classes). During the Summer we organise socials on the Groenmarkt in Amersfoort, with a drop-in beginners class at the beginning. Also Utrecht’s weekly social Hopspot has a taster (for €5): Every Wednessday a class from 7.40 to 8.30pm followed by a social untill 11pm @ Winkel van Sinkel, Oude Gracht in Utrecht. Check our Agenda or Swing in Utrecht’s facebookpage for all our events.
Is it really OK that I do not speak Dutch?
Yes, definately! Though Amersfoort is a bit more Dutch speaking oriented, the Lindy scene is known to be widely English speaking. All our socials (including drop in classes) are in English, and also our weekly classes can be given in English when non-Dutch speaking participants sign up and the class is OK with this. All our teachers and volunteers are happy to adjust to English when needed 🙂